KVM - virtualization support

Sengottuvelan S sengottuvelan.s at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 20:43:07 EST 2010

Hi All,

I have below architecture. I assume it does not support KVM. Please point
me somone what is exactly needed to support KVM support in my machine?

# egrep -c ' lm ' /proc/cpuinfo
2
# uname -m
x86_64
# uname -a
Linux ubuntu 2.6.32-24-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 28 05:14:15 UTC 2010
x86_64 GNU/Linux
and

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model  : 23
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7200  @ 2.53GHz
stepping : 6
cpu MHz  : 1600.000
cache size : 3072 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id  : 0
cpu cores : 2
apicid  : 0
initial apicid : 0
fpu  : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp  : yes
flags  : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm
constant
_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est
tm2
 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 lahf_lm
bogomips : 5054.10
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:
processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model  : 23
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7200  @ 2.53GHz
stepping : 6
cpu MHz  : 1600.000
cache size : 3072 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id  : 1
cpu cores : 2
apicid  : 1
initial apicid : 1
fpu  : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp  : yes
flags  : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm
constant
_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est
tm2
 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 lahf_lm
bogomips : 5054.00
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 5:57 AM, matthias <mensch0815 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2010/12/21 Sengottuvelan S <sengottuvelan.s at gmail.com>:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am trying to see whether my kernel has KVM support or not. When i
> execute
> > #egrep -c '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo  , output shows '0'' which means my
> > custom kernel does not have capability of KVM.
> >
> > How do i enable or support KVM in my new kernel. Is it possible or not?
>
> /proc/cpuinfo gives you information about your CPU and not about the
> modules your kernel support.
> If you don't have the right hardware, afaik you have to use a
> different hypervisor.
>

> Regards,
> Matthias
> --