Problem with booting newly compiled kernel

John Mahoney jmahoney at waav.com
Tue Dec 21 15:43:50 EST 2010

>> b. Also, who generates these UUID - is it a disk property (like, ROM
>> signature or stuff?), or this is some udev magic?
>>

> IMHO, this is fixed for every device during manufacturing.

I believe the UUID is created per partition/file system and are
created when creating the file system for a partition.  If anyone even
had their drive changed from /dev/hda to /dev/sda due to linux
changing how they labeled ide drives they will know why people use
UUID instead of the device name .  Also, it is not guaranteed that
they drives will always come up in the same order between kernel
releases(This is my personal opinion).

--
John