custom kernel install - query

Dexter Haslem dexter.haslem at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 11:13:33 EST 2010

On 12/20/2010 9:01 AM, Harish G. Naik wrote:
> Hi Dexter,
>
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 07:52, Dexter Haslem<dexter.haslem at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I have noticed that on Ubuntu 10.10 there is no menu.lst for grub and I
>> have no idea how to update it. Thankfully, using dpkg to install the
>> kernel updates grub for you. I have been having an issue with grub not
>> displaying the menu on i386 and booting the first entry, but on x86_64
>> it's displaying a list. Hope that helps
>
> On Ubuntu 10.10, you need to update /etc/default/grub and then use
> 'sudo update-grub' to update your configuration.

I see, thanks for the info on grub2 guys! If the files were copied to
/boot it sounds like the original poster just needs to update grub. I
still don't understand how the files got copied tho, I always have to
dpkg them myself (not done at the make-kpkg stage) and grub is taken
care of then.

--
-Dexter Haslem