Howto setup a Winlink client? (pat)

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 10:11:49 EDT 2020

On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 8:31 AM Michael Pittaro <mikeyp at lhrc.com> wrote:

> Count me in.  I'm running pat with AX.25 and a Kenwood D710 TNC.  Setup
> is fairly straightforward, but there are some tricks related to radio setup
> that aren't well documented, mostly on the AX.25 side.  I'll dig up my
> notes and add them to the wiki,.

Ok, good deal. I'm still cutting my teeth on all the moving parts. Today I
learned that direwolf is really only useful for packet, which means only
VHF/UHF for Winlink. For HF you need ARDOP as Winmor is no longer used.
Unfortunately it doesn't compile. A whole lot of issues with, "multiple
definition of..."  Right now I'm trying brute force adding "static" to some
of the definitions to get it to compile. Not sure yet if I've broken
anything.

I'm also interested in packaging pat.  At best I could tell, go-lang
> versions are the trickiest part.  The compiled binaries are static so the
> basic packaging should be straightforward.    Adding niceties like running
> pat as a service, and maybe getting forms packaged (when the support is in
> place) would also be good.

Ok, good deal!

Thanks,
Richard