Need help determining if the change is warranted.

Alison Schofield alison.schofield at intel.com
Fri May 26 20:36:59 EDT 2023

This may be a resend. My first msg may be stuck in moderation,
because I sent w a new email addr.

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 02:34:33PM +0300, Anton Gusev wrote:
> In the file drivers/leds/flash/leds-lm3601x.c, function lm3601x_strobe_set,
> the calls to regmap_update_bits aren't checked for errors.
>
> I am unsure whether adding the checks is warranted, since
> lm3601x_read_faults might cover the conditions that can cause
> regmap_update_bits to fail there. On the other hand, if this is not true,
> then lm3601x_strobe_set can fail silently. Also, all other calls to
> regmap_update_bit in the driver are checked or directly returned.
> --
> Anton Gusev

Hi Anton,

I don't see a patch posted for this, so I'll go ahead and respond.

It seems *something* can be improved here. Either examine those ret values
as they roll in, or stop assigning those ret values. Maybe, as you guess,
lm3601x_read_faults() is doing the needed checks. That's something you
could dig into further before posting the patch. Also, note the answer
might not be the same for all 3 of those calls.

Alison