Starting to learn Linux...

Fernando Apesteguía fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Fri May 19 07:37:45 EDT 2023

On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 11:49 AM Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 01:24:18PM +0530, Deepak Goel wrote:
> > This link is good. However it is listing all the software which runs on
> > Linux-kernel. I want to know what's going on inside the Linux-kernel
> > (thread management, memory management, interface to devices, etc).
>
> What of the many free books and other online resources have you read
> that did not cover this well already?  Specific questions are best, and
> also, you have access to the whole source code of Linux, have you tried
> reading that and just following the basic code flows of something
> "simple" to understand this type of thing?

Is there a tiered list of portions of the kernel to have a look at? I'm
thinking of something like this:

* If you want to learn about USB drivers, have a look at the very simple
foo-driver. Then, you could look at bar-driver. If you grasped all the
concepts, have a look at veryadvanced-driver.
* For char drivers, you could start with this driver, then this other
driver and end with...
* For block drivers...
* For network drivers...

I think this might be extended to core components of the kernel, although
it might be a bit more complicated:

* For process creation and destruction have a look at this. For advanced
topics, have a look at that (this would be specific code parts/snippets).
* For memory management, have a look at this for simple
usage/understanding, and that for advanced topics.

 Sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming to open foo.c and get lost in the
details.

Do you know if there is such a list? Would it be difficult to create one?

Thanks,