Starting to learn Linux...

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri May 19 06:12:31 EDT 2023

On Fri, 19 May 2023, Deepak Goel wrote:

> Will buy a book. Thank you. Debugging the whole source code of
> Linux, might be a bit tricky at the beginning. Will try ChatGPT.

  Respectfully, you are completely missing the point of this mailing
list. You started by asking for a list of programs that run on Linux;
when that was provided, you changed your mind entirely and insisted
that you wanted to know more about Linux internals like device drivers
and memory management and so on. Now you're suggesting you will
(finally?) buy a book and will further consult ChatGPT.

  Nowhere here have you demonstrated that you've actually put in any
effort of your own to start learning. Your entire approach seems to
be, "Could everyone drop what they're doing and teach me all about
Linux?" One starts to suspect you haven't even installed Linux to
start using it.

  This mailing list is for *kernel* newbies -- people starting to play
with the kernel and who have *specific* questions about something
they're trying. You, on the other hand, are asking to be spoon-fed the
most basic information about simply *running* Linux. You need to go
and invest some effort in learning the simplest things about Linux,
and not ask others to do that for you.

rday