Determining the reason for reserved RAM

Mikhail Krylov sqarert at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 13:51:08 EST 2023

Hello,

I was doing some research figuring out what kernel reserves memory for,
and found myself in a sort of dead-end.

I found out that /proc/kpageflags bit 32 is set for reserved physical
pages in include/linux/kernel-page-flags.c, wrote a simple decoder of
that file, and on an old 32-bit x86 machine (it's the simplest there,
since it has less memory and fewest amount of memory holes) those are
reserved:

0x00000000-0x0000ffff - I assume those addresses are used for interrupt
vectors and whatnot
0x0009b000-0x000fffff - Video RAM/ROM for VGA/EGA/CGA and whatnot
0x01c00000-0x01c1ffff - no idea, it also has KPF_UNCACHED flag as well
0x1d000000-0x1dd73fff - Kernel code, rodata, rwdata, bss
0x35b4a000-0x36b55fff - no idea.

I also found out that region #5 is getting bigger or smaller depending
on the machine's memory size. On this 1.5G machine it's a bit more than
16M. On a 32G machine it's more than 500M size, feels a bit wasteful
IMO. So my question is, could you tell me where to look for what those
regions are and why those regions exist?  I've checked /proc/iomem and
it doesn't say it is reserved or anything, just "System RAM".

Thanks in advance, Mikhail.