Adding compatible string to standard UART
ayushdevel1325 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 12:58:46 EDT 2023
Hello everyone. I have been working on submitting my GSoC23 driver 
to be merged upstream.
BeaglePlay has a specific UART that is connected to the CC1352
Co-processor. This UART is used to communicate with CC1352 co-processor.
It is also used to flash stuff to this co-processor using bsl. Thus, it
should be possible to disable it with an overlay and show it as a normal
ttyS* device. Currently, the beagle kernel uses the following dts .
My driver uses this UART and thus I need to patch the devicetree.
However, I am not too sure what I need to do to submit my device tree
patch upstream. I read the Submitting Devicetree (DT) binding patches'
doc , but I don't understand a few things:
1. Should I even be using device tree? Maybe there is a better method?
2. Is there some naming convention? I was thinking of `beagle,cc1352-uart`
3. Do I need a documentation entry at
`Documentation/devicetree/bindings`? If yes, should it go under serial?
4. I think I am supposed to use YAML now and not txt?
5. What are the required fields in this doc file?
More information about the Kernelnewbies