Kernel developer proccess

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 11:22:34 EDT 2023

filippakpan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello. I would like to ask, what your advise would be to a person that
wants to get in the kernel development industry, without having a coputer
science degree. I attended some classes for computer science, but due to
some difficulties i left after the first semester. During that time we
learned a little bit about operating systems and the basics of programming.
Is learning operating systems C and Assembly, for a specific architecture,
(e.g. x86) a good start? What should my steps be after that? Thank you in
advance.

> Filippakopoulos Panagiotis

Read the documentation :
https://docs.kernel.org/process/development-process.html

Read this by Valdis again and again... ( and again! )
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/pipermail/kernelnewbies/2017-April/017765.html

After reading the above by Valdis go ahead and give it a go, this is how I
started.

When I said read the documentation...

If you think about it there is no better documentation than the actual
source code. Reading the source
is one thing... understanding/comprehending it is totally another  :-)

Hope this helps!

Aruna