Where do I put my new driver?

jim.cromie at gmail.com jim.cromie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 18:26:29 EDT 2022

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 12:21 PM Alec Matthews <me at alecmatthews.dev> wrote:

> I've created a new device driver that is responsible for controlling a
> GPIO expander. This driver contains gpio_chip code, pinmux/pinconf,
> code, pwm, and irq handlers.
>
> I'm not certain what I should name this driver. `pinctrl-*`, `gpio-*`,
> or something else?

that suggests that you have several different drivers.
each under their own tree to get the same "place"
as the ones already there, that build cleanly,
use the subsystem support, and work.

> I'm also not sure where this driver belongs in the source tree. Should
> it exist in drivers/gpio, drivers/pinctrl, or drivers/pwm?
>
> I have developed this driver out of tree, now I am trying to move it in
> tree so I can begin the patch process. I appreciate any insight that
> this list may have on where it belongs.

the path of least resistance might be to just put it in staging.
Once its there and building, thats a milestone.
then when it "works" there, thats clearly another.
then maybe break it up into several ko's if feedback says.