olddefconfig vs. menuconfig (just open, save file and close)

Richard richard_siegfried at systemli.org
Sat Oct 15 13:22:17 EDT 2022

Hi all,

When you have an existing .config and just open `make menuconfig` say
close and save the file you end up with a working (for compilation)
.config file.

As you do when you use make olddefconfig.

In a recent (arm) project I have noticed that the .config files produced
in the two cases differ (when starting from the same base .config). In
general menuconfig adds more options (lines) than olddefconfig.

What is the difference between the two cases? When should I use
olddefconfig, when should I use the menuconfig approach?

Thanks,
-- Richard