Can KASAN be used with loadable modules?

John Ousterhout john.ousterhout at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 17:47:07 EDT 2022

I'm trying to use the address sanitizer (KASAN) with a loadable module, but
so far haven't been able to make it work. I compiled a kernel with KASAN
and tested to see that it detects errors properly with kernel files, but
when I compile a loadable module with that kernel, the module is not
configured for KASAN (e.g. missing CFLAGS switches). Furthermore, I found
that the lib/include/config/auto.conf file in the /lib/modules/xxx
directory is different from the one in the kernel build directory. I tried
copying the auto.conf file from the kernel directory to lib/modules/xxx,
but then the module build fails during the link step with missing symbols
such as __asan_handle_no_return.

Is KASAN known to work with modules? If so, is any additional configuration
needed for a module to use KASAN?

-John-