How to refer to a code snippet in email?

Lukas Bulwahn lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 03:52:41 EDT 2022

On Tue, Oct 11, 2022 at 8:21 AM Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 05:55:33PM -0400, Drake Talley wrote:
> > There is ample documentation for how to include a patch file, commits, or diff in emails,
> > but I haven't been able to discern what is the preferred way to refer to code snippets
> > as line ranges in a file for a given revision.
> >
> > Is this just not that common so it isn't done?  Or is there a general approach
> > to just pasting in a hunk of source code and manually stating the file/line numbers?
>
> It is not that common, but if needed, just copy the needed code into the
> email and go from there.  We all work from different trees, so line
> numbers do not usually match up, but function names should be enough to
> orient people.
>
> > Curious both as to what's possible in an email-driven git workflow and how things are done here.
>
> Again, it's not that common, look at the linux-kernel mailing list
> archives on lore.kernel.org for examples of how things normally work.

As Greg said, it is not common.

However, it might help you to look how the 0day-bot (kernel test
robot) reports in its emails the location (and the "hunk of source
code") where a build error or build warning appeared. The 0-bot
testing team did take some feedback from developers into account, and
the developers are used to that type of output by now. Hence, this
might serve as a good reference or at least as some food for thought
(how to improve upon that style of reporting).

I hope this helps.

Lukas