clock_gettime function doesn't scale to real time.. and changing CNTFRQ_EL0 doesn't make any change..(arm64)

Chan Kim ckim at etri.re.kr
Tue Nov 8 00:15:55 EST 2022

Hello all,

I fixed this problem and now the time measurement and commands like sleep
works just fine.

Two points I fixed :
- I had 'clock-frequency' property set with wrong frequency in my timer node
in the device tree so I removed it.
   The document says when the boot loader sets CNTFRQ register correctly, we
don't have to provide 'clock-frequency' property value.
- The correct frequency of the system counter (arm464) was 10MHz in our
board. Previously I set CNTFRQ register with 5MHz but I fixed it to 10MHz.

One more thing to note. The system counter has both system register view and
memory mapped register view.
Previously I said even if I set cntfrq_el0 register with some values (using
system register, "msr cntfrq_el0, COUNTER_FREQUENCY") it did not change
anything.
It was because I set the same register with old value (5MHz) using the
memory mapped access later (like with "writel(COUNTER_FREQUENCY,
0x4c018020);").

Hope this helps someone later.
Thank you!

Chan Kim