REPOST : Kernel panic when try to install Rocky 8.4

Siddh Raman Pant code at siddh.me
Mon Nov 7 09:41:40 EST 2022

As Greg KH says on the mailing list:

A: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post
Q: Were do I find info about this thing called top-posting?
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

A: No.

http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top

On Mon, 07 Nov 2022 14:22:53 +0530, mavis wrote:
> On which site did you find these informations about intel hardware bugs ?
> I didn't find it on the internet.

I searched for the error you provided on Google and went through multiple
links. I also briefly took a look at LKML.

Also, the fix people do (and what I told in the previous email) was to disable
C-state management, which implies the processor is doing some C-state stuff
which the kernel driver is unable to cope with.

Looking at the kernel code, you can find this specific error at line 1055 of
arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mce/core.c. It is related to machine check exception (MCE)
handling.[1] MCEs are triggered by hardware bugs, but the error you mentioned
can potentially be triggered due to incorrect handling by the software.[2]

Anyways, if you didn't, maybe see if you can update your processor's microcode.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Microcode

Thanks,
Siddh

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine-check_exception