How to track the source tree of kernel

陈 明政 chen.mingzheng at outlook.com
Thu May 19 07:14:54 EDT 2022

Hi Greg,

Sorry for the late reply, and the rude action before. I' m not quite familiar with the email rules, I will pay attention to it.

What I'm trying to do is to become a kernel developer, especially a driver developer. Maybe this is a more general object and lacks of clear steps. So I want to learn about the work flow ofkernel development to decompose the object.

And, I think, maybe the first step is to catch up with a branch of kernel source, for which I setup a raspi to track the kernel source daily with the help of crontab, and compile the kernel when there is a new commit and send an email to get a notification. Next, I should develop on the specific branch, and learn how to submit a patch to kernel.

But now, I'm confused that there so many branches in linux kernel source and other linux distribution source such as raspberrypi/linux.git, and I only know about how to submit a patch to kernel from kernel documents or kernelnewbies or other websites. Can I just work on a specific platform and submit a patch to kernel?

I currently work on i.mx6 platform and have a raspi4b for learning. Based on the linux SDK from board supplier, l developed some camera drivers. The SDK contains a dirty 4.1.15 kernel source, a uboot, anda prebuild rootfs archive. and the SDK is not controlled by a git, it's just an archive.

Supposed now, I know how to submit a patch to which branch, is therep any tests need to be run before I submit? or is there a requirement for writing a test program to test my driver first?

Could you give me some advices on what should I do next, or is l going toward a wrong direction?

Thanks in advance,

chen.