UAPI syscall exception interpretation

Muhammad Ali m.ali023 at hotmail.com
Fri May 13 16:43:14 EDT 2022

From: Greg KH
Sent: May 13, 2022 1:36 AM
To: Muhammad Ali <m.ali023 at hotmail.com>
Cc: Kernelnewbies at kernelnewbies.org <Kernelnewbies at kernelnewbies.org>
Subject: Re: UAPI syscall exception interpretation

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 11:21:03PM +0000, Muhammad Ali wrote:
> [...]

Other things happened in 2020 that pushed this to the back of the list.

> If we could finally get some clarity or examples to illustrate the exception and license, 2 years later, then that would be very nice, because I am not the only one who is thinking that the current syscall exception text and license.rst are not giving a clear interpretation as to when the GPL applies and on what code it applies. What do I tell the lawyer? “Here’s some conflicting licensing guide and license text and Greg said, on the mailing list, that things will be ‘made obvious’ but nothing has changed so just provide me with what you think”? Shouldn’t I be saying that sentence to the kernel maintainers, instead?

If you have a lawyer that has issues with the current wording and you
need help with that, please let me know and I can put them in contact
with lawyers who can help them understand the issues involved.

thanks,

greg k-h

Thank you, Greg.
I am starting to understand things much better.
The issue from 2020 is taken care of and is now marked closed, correct?

Thank you for your time,
-ma