arm64 code looking for variable rodata_enabled when STRICT_KERNEL_RWX = n

Chan Kim ckim at etri.re.kr
Sat Mar 19 07:30:00 EDT 2022

Hi, Fabio,

I haven't ever written Kbuild rules but as far as I understand that message  "Symbol: STRICT_KERNEL_RWX [=y] [is] Visible if: ARCH_HAS_STRICT_KERNEL_RWX [=y] && ARCH_OPTIONAL_KERNEL_RWX [=n]" seems to say that we can see and enable/disable STRICT_KERNEL_RWX if and only if ARCH_HAS_STRICT_KERNEL_RWX is set to "yes" AND ARCH_OPTIONAL_KERNEL_RWX is set to "no".

Is it me that I'm misunderstanding the above-mentioned message from "make menuconfig"?

Yes I select or set options using make menuconfig. But this CONFIG_STRICT_KERNEL_RWX was not settable in the menuconfig.(only appear in the search)

That’s why I set ARCH_OPTIONAL_KERNEL_RWX to =n. This ARCH_OPTIONAL_KERNEL_RWX was not settable through menuconfig either.

If the visibility condition is not met, the config menu for that config variable does not appear in the menuconfig window.

(The menu is not visible in the specified location, you can check it yourself. As you said, some menus become selectable when the condition is met and is meaningful)

Chan