Which Page table is appled when MMU is turned on in boot process of ARM64

JeongHwan Kim frog007.kernel.kr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 21:40:59 EDT 2022

Hi, everyone

When ARM64 boots, it setup 2 page tables ("idmap_pg_dir" and
"swapper_pgdir").

On turning on MMU, which page table is applied?

I heard that "idmap_pg_dir" is applied as soon as MMU is turned on.

I cannot understand why "idmap_pg_dir" is applied, which is for "Lower"
address.

As I understand, the virtual address of kernel code is in "Higher" address.

Can you explain why "idmap_pg_dir" is applied on MMU turning on?

Thanks in advance

J.Hwan Kim