How do I start contributing to the Linux kernel?

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Feb 24 20:22:09 EST 2022

On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 17:24:49 -0300, Rogério Valentim Feitoza da Silva said:

> How do I start contributing to the Linux kernel, as a person who has
> never contributed before?

First, figure out *why* you want to contribute.

https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/pipermail/kernelnewbies/2017-April/017765.html

> I've already subscribed to the Linux
> kernel mailing list (linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org), and I'm receiving
> lots of e-mails from other people who subscribed to LKML, with most
> containing patches for many Linux drivers and subsystems.

Congratulations.  Hope you enjoy the email fire hose - LKML so far this
month has been averaging some 1,153 mails a day - and that's *after*
filtering out all of Greg KH's for-stable-review patch bombs.

"Note that nobody reads every post in linux-kernel. In fact, nobody who expects
to have time left over to actually do any real kernel work will read even half.
Except Alan Cox, but he's actually not human, but about a thousand gnomes
working in under-ground caves in Swansea. None of the individual gnomes read
all the postings either, they just work together really well." -- Linus Torvalds

Linus wrote that when LKML was running about 200 posts a dsay....

Most sane people only subscribe to the lists for the subsystems they
are interested in, and/or get really good at using procmail or other
mail sorting/filtering software.