*** Compiler is too old

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 21:18:56 EST 2022

On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 8:48 PM Valdis Klētnieks
<valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:52:47 -0500, Aruna Hewapathirane said:
>
> > *** Compiler is too old.
> >
> > What would be the sanest way to do this? Meaning upgrade gcc and friends ?
>
> Well... the answer to the posed question is, of course, "install gcc 5.1 or later"

I tried to do that  believe me I jumped through lots of hoops but uh
uh no cigar.. :(

> (and even *that* is pretty damned ancient - some of us are chasing problems
> with building the kernel with gcc 12.  gcc 5.1 was released on 4-22-2015).

Show off, I had no idea there was a gcc 12  ( it is so good to hear
from you after many moons Valdis
how is the Jag and my warmest regards to miss drove a jag did not crash ? :)

> The meta question is what the <expletive> you're running that 4.9.2 (released
> on 10-30-2014) is still the compiler - and what *other* things on your machine
> are severely backleveled, particularly security-relevant patches....

Fine you convinced me security is a concern.  I got the Debian
debian-11.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso and
did a:

sudo dd if=debian-11.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso of=/dev/sdi bs=1024k

and I am typing this from a brand new clean install of 5.10.0-11-amd64
( Codename: Bullseye)

I have a *different* setup. See below :-)

NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 232.9G  0 disk
├─sda1   8:1    0   100M  0 part
├─sda2   8:2    0 212.2G  0 part
├─sda3   8:3    0     1K  0 part
├─sda5   8:5    0  19.7G  0 part
└─sda6   8:6    0   903M  0 part
sdb      8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk
├─sdb1   8:17   0   250G  0 part
├─sdb2   8:18   0   250G  0 part
├─sdb3   8:19   0  16.8G  0 part
├─sdb4   8:20   0     1K  0 part
├─sdb5   8:21   0   204G  0 part
├─sdb6   8:22   0 196.9G  0 part
├─sdb7   8:23   0   6.2G  0 part
└─sdb8   8:24   0   7.7G  0 part
sdc      8:32   0 465.8G  0 disk
├─sdc1   8:33   0     1K  0 part
├─sdc2   8:34   0 232.4G  0 part /media/aruna/linux-next
├─sdc3   8:35   0 232.4G  0 part /
└─sdc5   8:37   0   928M  0 part [SWAP]
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom

I was running 3.16 something and my setup has a usb dock with a 500GB
I boot from.
Why ? Just wanted to see if Grub will break ? Sadly as I was already
aware Grub does not
break :-)

Thanks for scaring the sh*ts out of me with the security-relevant pitch.

Aruna