Need good starting point

Rohan Puri rohan.puri15 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 13:57:53 EST 2022

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 9:01 PM Ankit Pandey <itsankitkp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have gone through tutorials at kernelnewbies and was able to compile, build and run the kernel on qemu. But I'm stuck now. I tried to look for style fixes in drives/staging/ but most of them look good (and fixes that they need are not trivial).
> I will be glad if someone can give me pointers for a good starting point to contribute.
>
> Thanks,
> Ankit

couple of pointers,

books to read - LDD, UTLK
start writing simple modules
don't focus on style fixes
try to find your area of interest, like file systems, drivers, memory
management, etc
understand the concepts, code in that area
start with small modifications
once done all these, ask the maintainer of the module if he/she has
any simple work to begin with

I hope this helps.

- Rohan