List of all available kernel modules per version

jim.cromie at gmail.com jim.cromie at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 14:00:08 EDT 2021

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 9:32 PM Valdis Klētnieks
<valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 18:08:01 -0600, jim.cromie at gmail.com said:
>
> > grumble/
> > ive often wanted lsmod -b  to tell me that list.  or something like that.
> > maybe a different rc
>
> See CONFIG_ICONFIG and friends in init/Kconfig
>
> That will give you not just the module list, but the entire .config the kernel was built with.

Indeed.  I use it builtin, when I remember to add it.
And annoying when Ive forgotten it.

and its nowhere near default:
/boot/config-5.13.15-200.fc34.x86_64:# CONFIG_IKCONFIG is not set

For a while now, Ive wanted a way to feed a config-fragment,
say a dozen CONFIG specs;  CONFIG_IKCONFIG=y, CONFIG_DYNAMIC_DEBUG=y, etc...
and have it all just work

I would note that virtme does something comparable:

[jimc at frodo local-i915m]$ virtme-configkernel --update
  GEN     Makefile
.config:7395:warning: override: reassigning to symbol UEVENT_HELPER
.config:7396:warning: override: reassigning to symbol VIRTIO
.config:7397:warning: override: reassigning to symbol VIRTIO_PCI
.config:7398:warning: override: reassigning to symbol VIRTIO_MMIO
.config:7399:warning: override: reassigning to symbol NET
.config:7400:warning: override: reassigning to symbol NET_CORE

though it gives ~53 such msgs to stderr,
it just works, so I havent really looked under the hood,
at why those are warnings.
Rerunning gets the same warnings again,
so its not reflective of actual changes, just potential ones

Is there a way to do something like this ?
   make defconfig modconfig -DCONFIG_IKCONFIG=y
   make defconfig modconfig -from=./local-config-customizations