ALSA kernel projects - for academic purposes

Geraldo Nascimento geraldogabriel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 18:26:08 EDT 2021

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 10:28:01PM +0530, Muni Sekhar wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 10:02 PM Valdis Klētnieks
> <valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 19:34:59 +0530, Muni Sekhar said:
> > > What small projects would you suggest to a novice with the ALSA
> > > kernel. The aim is to develop a familiarity with the ALSA kernel
> > > source code, and also to submit it for academic purposes.
> >
> > A good place to start is getting a good handle on what the phrase "the ALSA
> > kernel" even means.
> Basically looking for kernel space audio subsystem projects rather
> than its user-space library(alsa-lib) and utilities(alsa-utils).

Hi Muni Sekhar,

I'm not an academicist by far but if you want your patches to be academic,
I think it's more of a question of scientific rigour and scientific
method, such that when the patch(set) is finally accepted by the Linux
community and Linus Torvalds ultimately, you can write a paper about
it.

Obviously there are a lot of things an academicist could bring from his
background to improve the Linux kernel, from the standpoint of security,
code correctness, speed (efficacy), etc.

My suggestion is to ask Takashi Iwai if he has in mind any fun project a
novice academicist could try to do with ALSA. He's the maintainer of
ALSA kernel-side and has a background in academia. He could very well be
the person most able to give the advice you ask for.

Thanks,
Geraldo Nascimento