efivars

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Thu Sep 23 04:41:28 EDT 2021

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 09:32:00AM +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Ruben Safir <ruben at mrbrklyn.com> writes:
>
> > I really just want to know what efi varriables exist and why we have a
> > sys file for them
>
> The "why" question is answered here:
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/efivarfs.rst

Thanks

I read that, but for my purposes it is circular.

They created another virtual fielsystem because the current
/sys and /proc entries seemed to fail to do something consistently
as UEFI developed and was grafted on the current kernel.

It doesn't explain why these new variables were needed in the
first place.

Thanks

> The "what" question doesn't have a short answer.  If you don't want the
> long one, then that's fine.  You don't need to worry about efi
> variables.  Leave them alone and they will do you no harm.

They are a problem and present a securilty risk.  I can't change
anything and nobody asks me about OS design, but it does cause
real problems and I run into them repeatedly at installfests.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com