efivars

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Wed Sep 22 11:47:42 EDT 2021

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 08:35:15AM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 02:22:22AM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
> > What is this for?
> >
> > efivarfs on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars type efivarfs
> >
> > why would the OS need to know anything about the UEFI
> > boot loader once it is up and running?
>
> Because there are lots of needed system information that the OS, and
> userspace, needs to get from UEFI after the system has booted.

Such as what?  It is not needed when booting with LILO?

Once the OS is up and running, what possible reason does the OS need
anything about the booting enviroonment?

> Why do you think it does not need to be present?  What problems is
> having it there causing?

Aside from the obvious security issues?  It is a huge problem for
installation from BIOS environments and it is an unneeded lock in.

All I want the boot loader to do is fine the kernel and run it.

I can't think of anything that a bootload does that should be needed for
a running OS whatsoever.  What are EFI variables that are being stored
and manipulated?

I did a search for this answer, but you just get useless parroted
empty answers.