Kernel upstream compile error at drivers/staging/media

Lukas Bulwahn lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 06:52:00 EDT 2021

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 12:31 PM Lafan Mining <lkfan at protonmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 8th, 2021 at 7:19 PM, Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > integration tree, and hence in linux-next
>
> So generally to get the latest kernel version that is going to be merged into master soon is using linux-next's master?

That is roughly right; more details are here:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/2.Process.html#next-trees

Most of it is still correct; some of it might be outdated.

E.g., I am not completely sure if Andrew Morton still does this
mentioned in the documentation: "The -mm tree integrates patches from
a long list of subsystem trees", or if most integration from a long
list of subsystem trees is nowadays completely done by Stephen
Rothwell in linux-next.

Also, possibly the statistics is outdated here in this statement: "In
a typical development cycle, approximately 5-10% of the patches going
into the mainline get there via -mm." One might need to check the
current numbers and update the percentage here.

Feel free to do a bit more research if you are interested and send a
patch to update the Documentation on what you learned.

Lukas