The authorship of each patch in a series

Fabio M. De Francesco fmdefrancesco at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 03:13:55 EDT 2021

Hi all,

Another developer and I collaborated to design and write a series of four
patches. Of course, we will both use the "Co-developed-by" and "Signed-off-
by" tags on each of the four works that make up the series.

However, there is a small problem that we would like to solve. Git-log only
displays a single name preceded by "Author:", so the reader of "git log --
pretty = short" will only be shown one of our names.

We would like git-log to show one name after "Author:" in 1/4 and 4/4 and the
other name in 2/4 and 3/4. This arbitrary breakdown is based on the fact that
approximately 80% -90% of the lines of code from the first patch group were
actually written by one of the two co-developers and approximately 80% -90%
of the second patch group was written by the other.

I guess Git will label anyone who submits the whole series as "Author"; works
like this or am I wrong? If so, I guess if my friend sends patches 0/4, 1/4
and 4/4 then I should find a way to send 2/4 and 3/4 somehow that makes it
clear to the maintainer, the tool that uses to apply the series, and the
reviewers, which also 2/4 and 3/4 belong to the same series as 0/4, 1/4 and
4/4.

How can we achieve this?

Thanks,

Fabio