Kernel 4.14: Using dm-verity with squashfs rootfs - mounting issue

Pintu Agarwal pintu.ping at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 11:51:33 EDT 2021

Hi All,

On Wed, 8 Sept 2021 at 17:38, Greg KH <gregkh at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> > Can you please let me know where to get the below patches for
> > backporting to our kernel:
> >  create mode 100644
> > target/linux/generic/backport-4.14/390-dm-add-support-to-directly-boot-to-a-mapped-device.patch
> >  create mode 100644
> > target/linux/generic/backport-4.14/391-dm-init-fix-max-devices-targets-checks.patch
> >  create mode 100644
> > target/linux/generic/backport-4.14/392-dm-ioctl-fix-hang-in-early-create-error-condition.patch
> >  create mode 100644
> > target/linux/generic/backport-4.14/393-Documentation-dm-init-fix-multi-device-example.patch
>
> If you are stuck on an older kernel version, then you need to get
> support from the vendor that is forcing you to be on that kernel
> version, as you are already paying them for support.  Please take
> advantage of that, as no one knows what is really in "your kernel".

This is to update this thread that now I am able to successfully
bring-up dm-verity with NAND+ubiblock+squashfs on our 4.14 kernel
itself without backporting the patches.
Now, I am able to boot dm-verity using both initramfs and bootloader approach.
The initramfs booting issue was our internal issue which was related
to Kernel size configuration in UEFI.
The bootloader approach issue was related to system image size issue,
where we need to pass the exact image size to find the verity-metadata
offset at the end of system image.

However, I felt that dm-verity documentation still needs to be
enhanced further with a better example.
With the 5.4 Kernel, I may further explore the option of using
dm-mod.create option, then I might get more clarity on how best to use
it.

Thank you all for your help and support!

Regards,
Pintu