Does FreeRTOS works on Linux?

jim.cromie at gmail.com jim.cromie at gmail.com
Mon May 10 22:39:03 EDT 2021

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 12:41 AM loïc tourlonias
<loic.tourlonias at gmail.com> wrote:

> > if using a posix thread full fills the requirement of RTOS. The reason
> > I want to use RTOS is , I am porting a Microcontroller code using RTOS
> > (free RTOS) to Linux and
> > afaik FreeRTOS doesnt work on Linux.
> > > FreeRTOS is a standalone OS and depending on your system there may be
> > > an example running on your architecture in parallel of your embedded
> > > Linux. For example, on one of my project with have an ARM Cortex-A7
> > > with Linux running in Normal World and FreeRTOS running in Trusted
> > > world.
> > This is interesting , do you have something to share?
> Sorry, this is intellectual property from my company so I can't share
> source code but we have started from the FreeRTOS porting sample
> related to our architecture. We are working on a ARM Cortex-A7 which
> have an isolation between a normal world and a secure world. Linux is
> working on the normal world for the UI and FreeRTOS is running on the
> secure world. Communication between the two worlds is made by SMC.
>
> Regards
> Loïc

You should look at Xenomai

it uses the Adeos interrupt pipeline to pick off and handle certain
interrupts and events
in real-time, and pass the rest off to the linux kernel that does all
setup and housekeeping

they have API interfaces for VXworks, and other commercial RTOSs
one of those APIs is probably your path of least portage.