Does FreeRTOS works on Linux?

Raul Piper raulpblooper at gmail.com
Fri May 7 12:44:34 EDT 2021

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 12:07 PM Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 06, 2021 at 08:12:48PM +0530, Raul Piper wrote:
> > On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 1:01 AM loďc tourlonias
> > <loic.tourlonias at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi
> > > I'm afraid I don't understand what you are requesting and I hope that
> > > someone else understand more clearly. But I'll still explain my
> > > understanding.
> > > You want to run a RTOS upon Linux OS, doesn't make it too much OSes?
> > > Then I have several questions:
> > > Do you really need a Real Time Operating System, can't you run your
> > > project in Linux userspace?
> > I can do that but Linux is not an ROS afaik. Even though i dont have
> > strict timing requirements , its like a sensor on i2c(producer) and
> > then another consumer tasks which not
> > only feeds on this data but also tell the i2c sensor by sending some
> > commands to it.
>
> That should be fine, Linux can be a "Real Time Operating system" if you
> use the RT patchset if your workloads require it.

OK I need to check on this RT Patchset if at all I need real time features.

> If you do NOT have strict timing requirements, then there is no need to
> worry about any of this, so I do not understand your wish to slow your
> system down by running a "ROS".  Why?

Typo this is RTOS (not R OS - Robot operating system ;) )
> > > Have you tried Linux RTOS extension (again I'm no expert and haven't
> > > tried them but you can look at Xenomai)?
> > I will explore this.I was thinking if i can use Posix thread to have
> > two tasks one reading sensors and another sending commands to it.But
> > then again i am confused
> > if using a posix thread full fills the requirement of RTOS. The reason
> > I want to use RTOS is , I am porting a Microcontroller code using RTOS
> > (free RTOS) to Linux and
> > afaik FreeRTOS doesnt work on Linux.
>
> What is your "requirement" exactly?
Read the data from the sensor and also change the type of data sent by the
sensor by analysing the received data by sending the command to the sensor
periodically based on trigger.There is some batch of data which a
"simultaneously" running algorithm
is evaluating and send the command based on calculated trigger,  to sensor
to change the data stream.This batch of data is of size 40-60 bytes length
and may vary each time a batch is  being read.
So in summary i wany two tasks to run together.
RTOS is one option
Posix thread is Another

Based on comments i recieved i will go for posix threads.

For future i think there is less clarity among developers (especially me)
when to use rtos and when not to use. Does using threads gurantees real
time behaviour? If not why to use posix threads, debate is endless . What
are those timing requirements which draws a border between using rtos and
not using rtos.
@GKH if you have some good “practical”references to decide on this subject
please do share.