Unable to boot to kernel built from stable 5.11.y

Andrew Adamson andrewdadamson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 09:16:12 EDT 2021

Hi Everyone,

I tried to build the kernel myself for the first a few days ago. While the
build was successful, I am unable to boot to it. After grub I get a
blinking cursor for 15 to 30 minutes, and then a message that says "Please
reboot and select proper boot device."

Since ubuntu ships with a 5.4 kernel, I copied the config from /boot and
used make olddefconfig. I also checked the menu entries in grub and my
5.11.y entry looks identical to my 5.4.y entry.

This feels like a config issue with how ubuntu configures the boot process,
but I am not sure how to investigate. I checked the ubuntu wiki for advice
on kernel building, and noticed they recommend using make deb-pkg instead
of make all. I cannot get that make recipe to work, it throws errors from
dpkg-source that I'm not sure how to resolve
"""
dpkg-source: error: unrepresentable changes to source
dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source -i.git -b . subprocess returned exit
status 1
"""

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance
-Andrew