"Invalid signature" issue on dev kernel launch

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 22:36:33 EDT 2021

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 12:37 PM Gidi Gal <gidi.gal.linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> After receiving a lot of information regarding my query on how to switch
> from installed to dev kernel (thank you to all the people that shared their
> knowledge on this subject), I am now facing "invalid signature" error when
> I reboot with my installed dev kernel. I shared the logs for the build,
> install and also .config and x509.genkey in the following link
> <https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mVUzrF_5MM4H1x0bLacprvkrXaKtFm6V?usp=sharing>
> .
> Please let me know what additional information can help to solve this
> issue.
>
> I am following the instructions in https://kernelnewbies.org/FirstKernelPatch
>
> and I am at the step where I am supposed to verify that a printout was
> added to the log after I reboot my dev kernel.
>
> Thanks,
> Gidi

Gidi,

>From your build.log I see you compiled that kernel 6 times:
Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready  (#6)

And the install log tells me:
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/50_linuxmint.cfg'
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/init-select.cfg'

I am curious are you using linux mint or Debian ?

I also see:
CC      drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq_ondemand.o
drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq_ondemand.c: In function ‘od_set_powersave_bias’:
drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq_ondemand.c:446:1: warning: the frame size of 1032
bytes is larger than 1024 bytes [-Wframe-larger-than=]
  446 | }
      | ^
This is what causes the compile time errors with possible missing firmware
:-)

and all the kernels you have you can boot into by selecting 'Advanced
options' in the grub menu then
choosing the kernel you wish to use.

Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/50_linuxmint.cfg'
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/init-select.cfg'
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.12.0-rc3-GIDI-DEV+
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.12.0-rc3-GIDI-DEV+
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.12.0-rc3-GIDI-DEV+.old
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.12.0-rc3-GIDI-DEV+
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-64-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-64-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-58-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-58-generic
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings

Disabling secure boot should make your invalid signature error go away.

Hope this helps - Aruna