How to switch between installed kernel and developed kernel

Gidi Gal gidi.gal.linux at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 11:11:46 EDT 2021

Thanks Aruna and Valdis for your replies.

Use : linux-check-removal <uname-r of your kernel to remove>

I tried to use it on my kernel. It did not seem to work - I still see the
files in /boot. I assume it is because my kernel is not signed properly.
When I launch "dpkg --list | grep linux-image" I don't see my kernel in the
list. When I reboot I still get an "invalid signature" error. I attach the
build log, install log and .config file and x509.genkey file in this link
<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mVUzrF_5MM4H1x0bLacprvkrXaKtFm6V?usp=sharing>
in Google Drive (I tried attaching the files to the mail and got a message
saying there's an issue with their size). Please let me know what
additional input can help to analyze this issue.

Seriously - if you're not comfortable with that level of sysadmin
> procedures,
> maybe you shouldn't be a kernel hacker...

Once you are comfortable with compiling + linking/building +running a
> custom kernel
> what is preventing you from writing 'your own command' to do exactly that
> ? Say a bash
> script ? Or Python program ?

I gave up for now and prepared bash script for removing the files, based on
the information in
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/debian-redhat-linux-delete-kernel-command/
(see "A note about custom compiled Linux kernel" section). In my opinion,
if Makefile supports install, it should support uninstall as well. Please
let me know whether it sounds like a worthy enhancement or a wrong
expectation.

Aruna, thank you for your kind words. I promise not to be discouraged.
Continuing with my quest to become a kernel developer :-)

Thanks,
Gidi