kernel build error during ubuntu linux kernel build

ckim at etri.re.kr ckim at etri.re.kr
Wed Jun 30 21:03:09 EDT 2021

Hello Alexander Kapshuk,

Thanks for the reply. Following your advice, I installed `sudo apt install zfs-dkms` ( it gave me this scary-looking warning below I just installed it, because I’ll not distribute anything)

It installs sources for zfs-dkms and I understand it contains bash script to automatically compile it when the kernel changes.

I later found I had to do these commands.

export $(dpkg-architecture -aarm64); export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf-

LANG=C fakeroot debian/rules ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-none-linux-gnu- clean

LANG=C fakeroot debian/rules ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-none-linux-gnu- binary-headers binary-generic binary-perarch

Before this, I had to download gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-x86_64-aarch64-none-linux-gnu from https://developer.arm.com/tools-and-software/open-source-software/developer-tools/gnu-toolchain/gnu-a/downloads because I saw some compiler error related to STACKPROTECTOR compile option when I used gcc tool from linaro which was based on gcc 7.5 (I remember, the new toolchain is gcc 10.2 based).

With these, I could finally compile ubuntu 20.04!

(For those interested, please see https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/656263/how-to-build-ubuntu-for-arm64-how-to-give-arch-and-cross-compile-variable-to)

Thank you!

Chan Kim