Kernel Compile Issue

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 22:48:10 EDT 2021

Hello everyone,

I am trying to compile a old kernel and it compiles fine. I used:
time make -j$(nproc) and this is a-ok and works.
make modules_install works fine. Now when I try to install the newly
compiled kernel I get this error below.

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.18.2-testing (x86_64)

it says Consult /var/lib/dkms/open-vm-tools/9.4.6/build/make.log for
more information.
and this file shows me what is below:

DKMS make.log for open-vm-tools-9.4.6 for kernel 3.18.2-testing (x86_64)
Tue Jun 22 22:30:14 EDT 2021
/bin/sh: 1: test: -I./arch/x86/include: unexpected operator
Using standalone build system.
Makefile:167: Makefile.normal: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'Makefile.normal'.  Stop.
/bin/sh: 1: test: -I./arch/x86/include: unexpected operator
Using standalone build system.
Makefile:167: Makefile.normal: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'Makefile.normal'.  Stop.

I can use all the help I can get right now. Anyone ever experience
this ? If so is
is there a fix or workaround ? What causes this error ?

I have multiple kernels on this ancient box and would really prefer
not to have to
wipe everything and reinstall from scratch.

The only thing I did recently was install Virtualbox and Wireshark.
Both work no issues.

If anyone has any pointers would be most welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks - Aruna