USB sound card issues

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Jun 15 02:14:20 EDT 2021

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 16:45:00 +0530, Muni Sekhar said:

> > And if it's configurable for multiple formats, was it set for the correct one?
> Is there a way to verify was it set for the correct one or not?

arecord -v gives what it thinks the setup is.

> > Does the record die immediately, or hang for a few seconds and timeout?
> What is the difference between these two ways?

An immediate failure is usually related to a "Can't do it" situation where the
USB interaction to configure the device has failed, while a timeout usually
indicates that the configuration at least *claimed* to succeed, but is failing
to properly transfer valid data.

> For my hardware, I noticed that it hangs for a few seconds and gives EIO (arecord:
> pcm_read:2032: read error: Input/output error).

Given that the usbmon output ran to several megabytes, that's tending to
point at "the card was returning lots of packets, but they weren't actually the
format/data that arecord was expecting.