My effort to learn Linux kernel development

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Jul 22 10:56:52 EDT 2021

On Thu, 22 Jul 2021, Jules Irenge wrote:

> I normally learn the kernel on weekends. Reading R. Love and
> practicing by coding what you learn is the best way. Also, trying to
> submit simple patches on some free time is a good way , meeting Greg
> Kroah and Shuan, they are fantastic people to learn from.

  as the tech editor of the r. love kernel book, i can safely say that
there are no really current kernel books out there anymore -- the best
docs are the in-kernel ones.

  also, if you want to get started mucking with the kernel and
submitting patches, consider improving the documentation -- there is a
lot of documentation that is at least a little out of date and could
use all the help it can get, and that's an easy and safe way to get
started getting your name into the kernel git log.

rday