a question about dma_set_mask function

ckim at etri.re.kr ckim at etri.re.kr
Thu Jul 22 04:06:24 EDT 2021

Further reading down the document, I realized the returned DMA address (=bus
address) is used for setting the dma descriptors or the device register so
that the address value is used for actual DMA.

But I'm still confused for cases of using iommu.

When the iommu exists for the device, does the dma_alloc function allocates
virtual address range (which can be physically dis-contiguous) instead of
the (physically contiguous) bus address?

I mean, will the handle value below be pointing to virtual address for {this
process and the device} pair? (virtual to bus address translation being done
by iommu).

dma_alloc_coherent(struct device *dev, size_t size, dma_addr_t *handle,
gfp_t gfp)

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Chan Kim