How to make .dtb from .dts file (how to set include path for #include .. ?)

ckim at etri.re.kr ckim at etri.re.kr
Tue Feb 23 03:37:41 EST 2021

Hello all,

In linux kernel source, there are many .dts files (device tree source)

For example there is a file ./arch/arm64/boot/dts/arm/juno.dts.

To tried to make juno.dtb from juno.dts but I don't know how to do it.

(by the way, once I did make for the kernel build, junno.dtb file seems to
be generated in the same directory)

Just in case I want to make my own .dts and .dtb, I tried compling juno.dts
file. (I had installed dtc on my ubuntu 16.04 machine before)

$ dtc -I dts -O dtb -o juno.dtb arch/arm64/boot/dts/arm/juno.dts

Error: arch/arm64/boot/dts/arm/juno.dts:11.1-9 syntax error

FATAL ERROR: Unable to parse input tree

The dtc program cannot process the line below in the .dts file.(line 11)

#include <dt-bindings/interrupt-controller/arm-gic.h>

I don't know how I should let the preprocessing kick in.

I tried (because there is
include/dt-bindings/interrupt-controller/arm-gic.h)

  $ dtc -i include -I dts -O dtb -o juno.dtb
arch/arm64/boot/dts/arm/juno.dts

But it doesn't work.

How can I use dtc program to make juno.dtb?

Or if I have to use Makefile, what is the command?

Thanks,

Chan Kim