Changelog of features / drivers removed from kernel?

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Mon Feb 8 01:52:30 EST 2021

On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 05:30:34PM -0500, Evan T Mesterhazy wrote:
> Apologies if this comes off as a lazy question, but after a fair bit of
> searching I've been unable to find a changelog indicating which device
> drivers / features were dropped from various versions of the kernel. Does
> such a changelog exist?

`git log v5.1..v5.2` will show you the whole log, but that's a lot.

> I'm specifically trying to narrow down why the PCI devices on a server I
> have work with 5.8 and don't work with 5.9+. The server is circa 2014, so I
> suppose there's an off chance support for some component got dropped.

I doubt support for such modern hardware has been dropped in kernel
versions like this.  Odds are you just forgot to update a configuration
option.

Try using `git bisect` to track down the offending commit, that will go
much faster.

good luck!

greg k-h