Contributing to drivers/staging area

Len Baker len.baker at gmx.com
Fri Aug 20 10:45:15 EDT 2021

Hi Greg,

I am a kernel newbie in the path to find an area where to contribute
on. I have sent some patches before (simple ones) but I would like
to find some driver to contribute on and if possible mantain in the
future. Due to the big amount of drivers in staging, and my lack
of experience and specific hardware:

Are there any driver in the staging area that not requires specific
hardware? I have only access to an old laptop with 4 processors:

vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 37
model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU       M 370  @ 2.40GHz

Can I find a driver to contribute on with my machine requirements?
If yes, any advise to select one would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to improve the driver until get it out from staging ;)
And then maintain it.

Another option for me if there are no drivers would be create one
from zero. But I don't have any idea of useful driver. Any advise
and ideas here would be also great appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Len