kmalloc - Crashing

Lloyd lloydkl.tech at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 08:37:26 EDT 2021

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 5:38 PM Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 05:03:07PM +0530, Lloyd wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am starting to write linux kernel mode code. I am on Ubuntu 20.04. I
> have
> > written the following code
> >
> > The line   DynPage[i]=0; //CRASH  causes a crash. Can you please guide on
> > the reason for the crash?
> >
> > Thanks a lot in advance,
> >   Lloyd
> >
> > #pragma GCC push_options
> > #pragma GCC optimize("O0")
>
> Why are you using these options?  Try removing them and see what
> happens.

Thanks a lot Greg. Yes, the code works now.

The assignment inside the for loop (DynPage[i]=0) is not used
anywhere below. I thought that, when the compiler optimizes the code, it
can remove that line. I am writing a small benchmarking application. So, I
don't want that line to be removed by the compiler. Is there a better way
to achieve this?

I am also surprised to see that disabling compiler optimization for
a function caused my code to crash!!