LDD 3rd ed. - It was: Re: read() via USB bus

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Aug 12 06:26:44 EDT 2021

On Thu, 12 Aug 2021, Greg KH wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 11:45:45AM +0200, Fabio M. De Francesco wrote:
> > Hi Greg,

> > > Along these lines, take a look at the book, Linux Device Drivers, third
> > > edition, which is free online, as it has a chapter about USB drivers and
> > > how they work.  That should help you out to understand the issues
> > > involved with USB devices.
> > >
> > I've heard that your book, LDD 3rd edition, has become obsolete a long time
> > ago and most sample code cannot anymore build. Reading what you wrote above
> > seems to contradict what I've been told by others... I must admit that I've
> > just had a print copy of it that I have not yet opened for reading, therefore
> > maybe that I'm totally wrong in assuming the above.
>
> Look into it and see the differences, it's not hard to notice.
>
> And the code samples are all up to date online on github somewhere,
> there's people keeping them alive if you want to track them down,
> but really, just look at the in-kernel drivers for better examples
> of real drivers.

  it's possibly worth mentioning that a chap named javier martinez has
been doing a decent job of upgrading the examples from LDD3 to keep up
with current kernel development:

  https://github.com/martinezjavier/ldd3

of course, those examples won't match the explanations in the book
anymore, but still, worth perusing.

rday