LDD 3rd ed. - It was: Re: read() via USB bus

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Aug 12 06:13:54 EDT 2021

On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 11:45:45 +0200, "Fabio M. De Francesco" said:

> I've heard that your book, LDD 3rd edition, has become obsolete a long time
> ago and most sample code cannot anymore build. Reading what you wrote above
> seems to contradict what I've been told by others... I must admit that I've
> just had a print copy of it that I have not yet opened for reading, therefore
> maybe that I'm totally wrong in assuming the above.

The APIs have all changed a lot since the 3rd edition.

The concepts haven't changed that much. And given that the in-kernel APIs
have *always* been a moving target, being able to deal with the fact that
a given function now takes a 'struct foo*' rather than a 'struct bar *' is a very
necessary skill for anybody who's planning to do serious kernel work.