timer API change from kernel 4.9 to 5.0

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Sep 30 14:48:41 EDT 2020

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 18:34:07 +0200, Fabien R said:
> Hello,
> In timer.h of 4.9, struct timer_list contains a field data which is unsigned long.
> In timer.c, call_timer_fn calls the triggered function with data as parameter.
> As of 5.0, the field data disappears from struct timer_list and call_timer_fn
> is used with a struct timer_list * as parameter.
> Is there some info about this change somewhere ?

[/usr/src/linux-next] git log v4.9..v5.0 -- kernel/time/timer.c

and reading through finds this:

commit 354b46b1a0adda1dd5b7f0bc2a5604cca091be5f
Author: Kees Cook <keescook at chromium.org>
Date:   Sun Oct 22 19:15:40 2017 -0700

    timer: Switch callback prototype to take struct timer_list * argument

    Since all callbacks have been converted, we can switch the core
    prototype to "struct timer_list *" now too.

(and several other commits from Kees following that)