linux kernel coding style and checkpatch.pl script

Konstantin Andreev andreev at swemel.ru
Thu Mar 26 09:01:18 EDT 2020

Valdis Klētnieks, 26 Mar 2020 07:13 MSK:

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 02:36:23PM +0300, Konstantin Andreev wrote:
> Sic! Grepping is important. Given that, why are kernel functions coded in a
>
> | static int __init loglevel(char *str)
> | {
>
> way, but not old decent unix way:
>
> | static int __init
> | loglevel(char *str)
> | {

Greg KH, 26 Mar 2020 15:06 MSK:
> Documentation/process/coding-style.rst

This document does not answer my question. It does not even require

| static int __init loglevel(char *str)
| {

style. Here is a relevant part of document: "separate functions with one blank line... EXPORT macro should follow closing function brace ... In function prototypes, include parameter names ... E.g.:"

| int system_is_up(void)
| {
|         return system_state == SYSTEM_RUNNING;
| }
| EXPORT_SYMBOL(system_is_up);

That's all. Have I overlooked something? Could you, please, share your own point of view?

--
Regards, Konstantin