Compiled Kernel stuck in booting

Bryan Brattlof hello at bryanbrattlof.com
Wed Jul 29 17:02:39 EDT 2020

On 2020-07-29T04:51:48-0400 Yashodhan Joshi <yjdoc2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,

Hi Yashodhan:

Sorry to send this to you again, somehow I dropped the mailing list from
the email

> I use a dual boot laptop with windows and Ubuntu,with grub2.
>
> I Followed the instruction in https://kernelnewbies.org/OutreachyfirstpatchSetup to clone the source code and compile the kernel, which was done without any errors.
> When I tried to install the kernel using 'sudo make modules_install install' it showed a warning when updating initramfs, that it will attempt to resume from UUID, which is my SWAP space,
> but other than that it showed no other errors.
>
> When I tried to boot into it from the grub menu after restarting, it showed message of loading the kernel and then 'setting up intitial ramdisk', after which nothing further happend.
> The default kernel that came with ubuntu is still working and boots up into desktop environment withing 2-3 minutes after the 'ramdisk' message,
> but even though I kept the system running for 20 minutes after the 'ramdisk' message for the compiled kernel, niether any further proccess seems to be happening nor any error messages are shown.
> Can someone help me figuring out what is wrong and how can I run the kernel?
>
> Thank You.

I'm fairly new to this myself, however with my Debian/Ubuntu based
system, I have had success using:

  $ make -j `getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN` deb-pkg

to compile the kernel into a few debian package that we can then install
using something like:

  $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

> Also can someone point me in right direction to send suggestions about updating the information on kernelnewbies website?
> The information about connecting mutt to Gmail is quite outdated, and I would like to help updating it.

Sorry I can't help you here

Hope this helps
--
~Bryan