New text

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Feb 20 15:12:17 EST 2020

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 18:17:36 -0500, Ruben Safir said:

> > 1) Start wading through the git log until you find the commit that
> > changed the API. In either that commit, or a commit in the same series,
> > whoever changed the API
>
> I don't think that will be a useful way to learn to code the kernel.

That was addressing the specific case of "I need to update an out of tree
driver to a recent kernel".

And I didn't say the kernel is impossible to learn - only that there's no
special consideration given in-tree to beginning kernel hackers.  If you don't
already understand topics like locking and caching and file systems, you need
to learn those elsewhere.